As you plan your tummy tuck in the Los Angeles or Torrance areas, you want to be sure you’ll get everything you desire out of your surgery. You want results that look natural, make you feel confident, and last for as long as possible. There are a few steps you can take to get the most out of your tummy tuck experience, from choosing the right approach to scheduling your surgery at the perfect time.
In this blog post, we will share a few tips for making the most of a tummy tuck and achieving results that look fantastic and last for good.
1. Choose the right technique for you.
There is more than one type of tummy tuck, and choosing the right approach for you will give you the best results. Your options include:
- Full tummy tuck: This standard approach tightens skin and abdominal muscles from the ribs to the pubic bone using an incision that runs from hip bone to hip bone.
- Extended tummy tuck: Popular with people who have lost a substantial amount of weight, this procedure tightens skin all the way around the midsection using a longer incision low on the abdomen.
- Mini tummy tuck: If you are looking to tighten a small amount of loose skin on your lower abdomen, this approach may be right for you. It uses a smaller incision low on the abdomen and typically involves a faster recovery.
During your consultation, your plastic surgeon will help you understand which option may be most successful in helping you achieve your cosmetic goals.
2. Combine your tummy tuck with liposuction.
Go beyond tightening loose skin and contour a more sculpted abdomen with liposuction. Liposuction gives your surgeon the ability to suction away stubborn pockets of fat and create attractive contours for a more toned tummy.
Including this procedure will not add recovery time if it is performed at the same time as your tummy tuck, but it will create more dramatic and attractive results. You can see 4 patients’ results in the before-and-after photos below:
3. Plan your surgery at the right time.
To enjoy your best results for as long as possible, it’s best to plan your surgery at a time that is right for you and your body. Most people choose to wait until they are near their goal weight to schedule their surgery, as future substantial weight loss may lead to more lax skin.
For women, it’s best to wait until you are finished having children. While a tummy tuck won’t affect your ability to have children, future pregnancies may stretch your abdominal skin and muscles, compromising your results.
Learn more about choosing the right time for your tummy tuck in this previous blog post.
4. Research, research, research before you choose a surgeon.
Perhaps the most important factor in achieving satisfying results is your choice of surgeon. Some surgeons offer specialized techniques that benefit you. SBPS’ surgeons, for example, use multiple-layer suture closure to minimize scarring. They also inject Exparel® during surgery so you have a more comfortable recovery. Ask about your surgeon’s approach during your private tummy tuck consultation.
5. Follow your aftercare instructions to a T.
Your surgeon will share guidance for caring for your incisions, gradually returning to exercise, and anything else you may need to know as you recuperate. While it may be tempting to rush back to your usual routine, honoring the recovery process will help your results take shape and encourage beautiful healing in your incisions.
To see more examples of the results you can expect after a tummy tuck, please visit our before-and-after photo gallery.