If I could have the skin of anyone it wouldn’t be JLo (although her glow IS amazing), it would be our esthetician, Erica. She has this gorgeous, clear, vibrant, and silky skin that seems too perfect to be attainable. I met with her for my skin analysis and facial (our New Patient Facial is complimentary for every new client to our spa) and she asked me what my goals were for my skin. I explained that the primary concerns were pore size in my T-zone and rosacea. I also don’t like the dark spots on my cheeks and the fine lines creeping in around my eyes and forehead. She reviewed my medical history, list of medications and current skincare regime. She noted that I am still nursing and said that she would come up with a skincare plan to work now and evolve easily when I’m done.
I sat back in our comfortable esthetician bed so she could carefully assess my skin. She cleansed my skin with ZO Foamaclense ($49) which is super bubbly and has a very light, clean scent. She put something over my eyes and turned on her lamp and analyzed the tone and texture of my skin. She noted clogged pores and redness in the T-zone and identified some light hyperpigmentation on my outer cheeks. She quickly drafted up a skincare regime and told me that the items I need would be ready for me at the front desk along with simple to follow instructions when she was done.
She turned on the steamer and let it sit over my face to open my pores. After she was done she spent about 7 minutes doing extractions in my trouble areas. That was followed by an herbal enzyme that, when applied, tingled ever so slightly. She told me that the enzyme was completely natural and safe to use while pregnant or breastfeeding and that it worked as a more powerful exfoliator. While she was talking she used a small fan to apply cool air to my face to keep the enzyme from being too uncomfortable. The next step in the process was the Phyto Corrective Masque from SkinCeuticals ($55) which contains botanical extracts, a calming dipeptide, and hyaluronic acid to “soothe and replenish temporary skin reactivity.” As soon as she applied it my face felt amazing. Once this was completed she toned my skin with Equalizing Toner by SkinCeuticals ($34) followed by my favorite tinted sunblock (it blends into any skincolor), Revision Intellishade ($65). The entire process took about 45 minutes and when I came out I had a little redness where she did the extractions but the rest of my face was bright and beautiful. I immediately booked my next appointment about a month out ($125 for the next facial). She fills up quickly and I want to maintain a schedule to get my skin where it was pre-pregnancy.
Besides having a wonderful facial, 30+ minutes of mommy relaxation time and some good products to use at home Erica also gave me some other great tips:
- Seeing an esthetician is like going to the dentist: If you only go to the dentist for cleanings but never brush or floss there’s only so much the dental hygienist can do for you. If you don’t take care of your skin at home the facials or chemical peels you do monthly, quarterly, or yearly won’t be nearly as effective.
- It is important to stick to a skincare regime for at least 6 weeks to see a difference. New products might cause dryness or flakiness temporarily. Stick it out or call our office if you are concerned.
- Taking care of your skin at home doesn’t need to break the bank. Erica recommended that I clean my skin a couple times a week with a mixture of baking soda and water. She said this was a great way to exfoliate my skin and each application costs less than a dime!
- She told me to double-down on the products that really made a difference. Instead of using the rosacea products (ZO Rosatrol and when I’m done breastfeeding, ZO Daily Power Defense and vitamin-C) just at night to use them twice a day.
- Recent studies have shown that Rosacea can be exacerbated by white wine and liquor more so than beer and red wine (http://www.jaad.org/article/S0190-9622%2817%2930292-X/fulltext). The study, unfortunately, didn’t say anything about rosé.
Now that I have a manageable skincare routine with home products, facials and clear + brilliant laser it’s really time to start the diet and exercise. Really this time.
All ZO products that don’t contain retinA or hydraquinone mentioned in my blog can be purchased in our office or by going to our ZO store at: https://zoskinhealth.com/drcspenler.
To schedule your complimentary skin analysis and new patient facial call our spa: 310-784-0670 or fill out an interest form HERE.
The statements in this blog have not been reviewed by an OB/GYN or pediatrician so please check with your own doctor before following any new skincare or aesthetic regime.