Lip augmentation is a popular treatment for people whose lips are not in harmony with their other facial features. However, many prospective patients aren’t sure exactly what to expect when they schedule a treatment. Whether you’re curious about the amount of filler to use, the qualifications you should look for in a practice, or the differences between Restylane® and JUVÉDERM®, our Hermosa Beach and Torrance area team of doctors has answers.
In this post, we’ll provide an overview of the information you need to know before you book your first lip augmentation appointment.
1. Choose the right filler
Our practice offers a variety of filler options for lip augmentation.
- JUVÉDERM fillers: This formulation has a thicker consistency, which creates a plumper, more voluminous result that may last for up to a year.
- Restylane® Silk: This thinner formulation results in a subtler look and is often used to fill in lines to create a younger appearance. These results may last for up to 6 months.
2. Consider non-filler options
We also offer other options to enhance the look of your lips.
- Platelet-Rich Plasma: This option uses platelets from your own blood to stimulate collagen growth for a more natural-looking result.
- PDO Thread Lift: This newer option lifts the lip to add definition, without necessarily adding volume. Plus, the treatment can be done in less than 15 minutes!
3. Look at everything, not just the lips
While lip augmentation can help harmonize facial features, there may be other elements at play. The teeth and chin can create issues with the shape or size of the lips, for example. Lost volume in other features may also create an imbalance. Our patients often choose to complement their lip injections with dermal fillers in the cheeks and other areas of the face for best results.
4. You can reverse the effects if you don’t like it
Fillers aren’t permanent. Hyaluronic acid-based fillers will dissolve in a few months. If you want to reverse the effects sooner, we can dissolve the product with hyaluronidase, which takes effect within 48 hours. Learn more about dermal filler removal in this blog post.
5. Filler fatigue can be avoided
Over time, excessive filler can stretch out the tissues under the skin, meaning you may need more filler with each appointment. Consulting with experienced doctors helps make sure this doesn’t happen. Our team focuses on proportional augmentation that will not push your lips past the constraints of their natural size or shape. Our goal is to improve facial harmony, not create an over-filled, Kylie Jenner-esque effect.
6. Research your doctor
While many people see dermal fillers as a quick cosmetic enhancement, it’s important to remember that these medical injections need to be administered by qualified providers. It’s essential to make sure the practice you choose is overseen by a board-certified plastic surgeon and that the staff member performing your injections has the necessary training and experience. Looking at before-and-after photos is a great way to make sure the practice has a proven track record of success in line with your expectations.
To see the real patient results achieved by our experienced nurse injectors, please visit our before-and-after photo gallery.
If you would like to learn more about lip augmentation with Restylane or JUVÉDERM in the Hermosa Beach or Torrance area, please contact us online or call (310) 784-0644 to request a consultation.