When it comes to anti-aging, there’s been a gold-standard procedure reigning for decades: the facelift. At our Torrance, CA, plastic surgery practice and around the world, people trust the facelift to take years off their looks by lifting, repositioning, and reshaping the delicate tissues of the lower face and neck.
But facelifts aren’t without their drawbacks—risks, invasiveness, and recovery time, just to name a few. As more and more innovative nonsurgical treatments emerge each year, it has many of our patients wondering: Have nonsurgical options made facelift surgery obsolete?
In this blog post, we’ll discuss how you can decide which rejuvenation option is the best solution for you.
What Are the Benefits of a Surgical Facelift?
The facelift earns a 92% “Worth It” rating from real patients on RealSelf.com and more than 200,000 Americans underwent the procedure in 2020 according to statistics from the American Society of Plastic Surgeons. There are a few reasons facelifts have been so well-loved for so long:
- Full customization: Taking a surgical route allows your plastic surgeon to make any corrections you may need. Whether you need more neck tightening, more cheek lifting, more fat repositioning, you name it, your surgeon can do it all to give you the most effective and natural-looking result.
- Long-lasting results: Facelifts are known to last as long as 10 or 15 years. Of course, nothing stops us from aging altogether, but the surgery effectively turns back the clock to reset the aging process by about a decade.
- A better investment: While facelift surgery typically costs more than nonsurgical options, most people find this option is more cost-effective in the long run compared to repeated shorter-term treatments.
See real examples of the results you can expect from a facelift in our before-and-after photo gallery.
What Are the Drawbacks of Facelift Surgery?
The main drawback of facelift surgery is that it’s just that: surgery. Any surgical procedure involves some risks and downtime. You can keep your risks of any complications low by working with one of our expert plastic surgeons.
In terms of downtime, expect to take 2 to 3 weeks away from your usual routine to recover. You will have some scarring, although our surgeons make concerted efforts to hide these small, thin scars along your hairline and around your ears. Get the details on how facelift surgery works and what to expect in this related blog post.
What Are the Best Nonsurgical Facelift Alternatives?
You have more options today than ever for rejuvenating your face without surgery. Here are a few of our favorites:
- ThermiRF®: These treatments stimulate collagen production in your skin to smooth wrinkles and reduce laxity.
- PDO Thread Lift: These injectable, dissolvable threads subtly lift and tighten facial tissues for a nonsurgical lift that lasts months.
- Injectable Treatments: Many people combine BOTOX® Cosmetic and dermal fillers like JUVÉDERM® for a “liquid facelift.”
You may see your best results with a combination of these treatments and others, depending on your concerns. Find the best options for you with our interactive treatment planner.
Which Is Better: A Surgical or Nonsurgical Facelift?
Ultimately, the right answer will be different for everyone. If you have significant signs of aging, are OK with going through a little downtime to enjoy long-lasting results, surgery is likely the better approach for you. However, if you’re looking to keep signs of aging at bay without having surgery, you can rest assured you have plenty of effective avenues for doing exactly that.
The best way to determine the right approach for you is to consult one-on-one with a plastic surgeon you trust.
If you would like to learn more about surgical and nonsurgical facelift options in the Los Angeles area, please contact us online or call (310) 784-0644.